Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I'd Google That

I think one of the best things about being an author is the Google searches. I have a legitimate reason to Google "how bobbleheads are made" or "roller derby referee signals." (We went to the derby this past weekend, and it was FRAWESOME. Whoever came up with it is a certifiable genius, plain and simple.) And really, in what other profession can you reasonably Google these things? Unless you are a bobblehead salesman who moonlights as a derby ref, there probably aren't many.

Although if you are, please email me, because I might want to write a book about you.

But then for some strange reason, I turn around and laugh at the search terms that bring people to my site. Like, somebody recently found me by searching for "the universe loves me," and I often get visitors looking for some "hallo-wow." And I think, "What on earth would make someone google THAT?!?"

And then I realize, "Duh. I would totally Google that. And then tell people it was for my job, which might not necessarily be true."

What weird things have you googled lately?

6 comments:

Jennie Bennett said...

Yes! I totally google crazy things for my book too. Someone found my blog googling "what is a girl journey book?" which is fitting because my site is "http://abookagirlajourney.blogspot.com/" but at the same time it makes me think, What in the world is a girl journey book? Some kind of souped up journal? I have NO idea :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! I've had some people find my blog via...strange...searches. Hehehe. :) But hey, blog traffic is blog traffic, right? :)

Marsha Sigman said...

Besides myself? hmmmmm

'Ritualistic Voodoo in pre-civil war America'

It's for a story, I swear.

Also, 'how old is Damon Salvatore/Ian Somerhalder?'. But that's because I feel like such a cougar when I watch Vampire Diaries. Now not so much.

DJ D. said...

I always Google News "Loch Ness Monster" and "UFO" because A) I firmly believe Nessie is alive and well and B) UFOs freak me out, but in that curious kind of way. :-)

Suzanne said...

This is gross, but I totally googled "How long does it take a human body to decompose in a pond?" and "Would carp eat human remains?" It was for my novel... honestly and completely... but for weeks I half expected cops to show up at my door.

(and the search that brings the most people to my site, for over two years now, is "fake swear words")

Claire Dawn said...

So, the searches that bring ppl to my site most often are about Prince Charming, Snow White, Cinderella and Disney! I'm so proud.

I think the strangest recent searches were "hot chocolate baby don't hurt me" and "is it bad to mail a housekey" ????

My weirdest recent google search was "Death God badge." lol